LET’S GET STARTED
Ever felt lost when people talk about AI and technology? You’re not alone, but there’s good news! ChatGPT stats are here to make it all easy to understand. No confusing terms or big words, just exciting facts that will amaze you.
Whether you’re an expert or just curious, keep reading, and get ready to be surprised by the ChatGPT stats that are making waves everywhere!
- ChatGPT creator is Open AI.
- It was launched on November 30, 2012.
- As of August 2023, ChatGPT has over 100 million users.
- ChatGPT has 2 models: Fine-tuned GPT-3.5 (text-DaVinci-003) and GPT-4 (in ChatGPT Plus)
- The database size of ChatGPT is 300 bn words, 570 GB (crawled web, books, Wikipedia).
Understanding the statistics will provide a useful perspective on the AI’s abilities and limits. Let’s get started!
1. ChatGPT crossed 1 million users within the first week of its launch. (mlq.ai)
In the contest to reach 1 million users the fastest, ChatGPT came out on top. It was able to gain its first million users in just 5 days, which is the shortest amount of time on record.
2. 59.67% of ChatGPT users are males while the remaining 40.33% are females. (demandsage)
3. 31% of the ChatGPT users are from the United States while 7.60% are from India. (demandsage)
AI Chatbots find their most extensive usage among the people of the United States, leading the way globally. India holds the next prominent position in this trend, with Japan coming in closely at the third spot.
The table below showcases the distribution of ChatGPT users across various nations:
4. Users Can Now Disable ChatGPT History (Nerdy Nav)
Users now have the power to keep their conversations private with ChatGPT. By navigating to Settings, and then selecting Show, you can switch off the Chat History & Training option. This ensures that your chat history remains exclusively yours.
5. ChatGPT is being used to write convincing phishing messages and create malicious code (TechCrunch)
ChatGPT is a tool that people are using to write fake messages to trick others. They make these messages look real to get personal information. They’re also using it to create computer programs that can harm others. This is a big concern for everyone’s safety.
For example, you might receive an email that looks like it’s from your bank, but it’s really from a thief trying to get your account details.
6. ChatGPT Is Predicted To Generate $200 Million In Revenue In 2023 (Semafor)
There’s no official information on how much money ChatGPT is making. But people who know the industry think it will make $200 million by the end of 2023. And by 2024, they think it could make as much as $1 billion.
During these years, the income sources for ChatGPT are expected to come from offering its API for sale, providing premium subscription options like ChatGPT Plus, and selling sets of training data.
7. Over 85% of ChatGPT’s Traffic Comes From Direct Sources (Demandsage)
The ChatGPT websites get visitors from various places. Yet, most of the visits, 88.43%, come directly to the site, while a tiny portion, 0.76%, comes from other sites that refer people to it.
Now, let’s examine the breakdown of visitors coming from different sources.
8. ChatGPT’s website now has over 9 billion all-time views. (Similarweb)
The ChatGPT website hit a milestone with 1 billion visits in February 2023.
The site’s busiest time was in May when it saw a whopping 1.9 billion visits.
Most of ChatGPT’s online visitors, around 88%, come directly to the site. That means they’re simply typing ‘ChatGPT’ into their search engines to get to the official page.
Below is a chart that illustrates the number of visits to ChatGPT’s website over time:
9. 64.53% of ChatGPT users are from the 18 to 34 age group. (Demandsage)
The data shows that most people using ChatGPT are in the age group known as millennials.
10. Insights On ChatGPT Plus (demandsage)
ChatGPT Plus started on February 1st, 2023. For only $20 a month, you get the newest ChatGPT features. It works with the latest GPT-4, the older GPT-3.5, and special add-ons called ChatGPT Plugins. Try it and see what’s new!
11. Do you know what was the dataset size for training ChatGPT?
ChatGPT was trained on a dataset of 300 billion words. From web pages to books and Wikipedia, the total size came up to 570 GB. (Analytics India Magazine)
18. GPT-4 enhances the creative thinking and mental skills that were not present in an earlier version of ChatGPT. It’s expected to influence over 300 million jobs, as it brings new possibilities and innovation to various fields. (Nerdy Nav)
12. 53% of people thought that the content in areas like finance, health, tech, travel, and entertainment made by ChatGPT was either written or edited by humans. (Demandsage)
The table shows how many readers believe that text written by ChatGPT is actually written by a human.
Some Other Facts
1. GPT-3 has led to some cool and innovative tools and they are given below. (invgate)
- DALL-E: Makes pictures from words.
- CLIP: Links words and pictures.
- Whisper: Turns voices into words.
- ChatGPT: Can chat, write, and code.
2. ChatGPT has found its way into many different areas, from websites and chat apps to virtual helpers and other cutting-edge tech tools. (Forbes)
3. 51% of IT decision-makers believe a successful cyberattack will be credited to ChatGPT within the year. (BlackBerry)
4. For those who create software and want to use chatGPT, the price is about one cent for every 20,000 words of text and roughly two cents for images. (OpenAI)
5. About 58% of people visiting ChatGPT come from YouTube, while around 12% find it through WhatsApp. Additionally, 9% discover it on Facebook, 5% on Twitter, and about 4% on LinkedIn. (Similarweb)
6. Some people who talk about ChatGPT have guessed that if you used just one NVIDIA Tesla V100 graphics card to train ChatGPT, it would take around 355 years to finish the job. But OpenAI actually used 1,023 A100 graphics cards, so they might have gotten the whole training done in just 34 days. (Lambdalabs)
7. ChatGPT can also “imitate” the writing style of famous personalities. (Analytics Insight)
8. ChatGPT has the ability to craft essays and in-depth research documents. Although there are tools designed to recognize AI-generated content, their accuracy leaves something to be desired. (ScienceDirect)
9. Advancements in AI are set to make a big impact in areas like tech, news, law, business research, and finance. (Business Insider)
10. By 2023, the worth of the AI business is set to be more than $150 billion. And it could go up to $1.5 trillion by 2030. (Precedence Research)
11. About 830 extra plugins are out there for ChatGPT, but they’re only accessible to those with a ChatGPT Plus subscription. (Startup Hub)
12. Research from Cyberhaven shows that roughly 8.2% of workers have used ChatGPT on the job. Plus, more than 3% have put private company information into ChatGPT. (Statista)
13. Microsoft aims to include AI similar to ChatGPT in its Office software by the end of the year. (The Verge)
14. TweetGPT is a tool for Chrome that uses ChatGPT to automatically create tweets for you. (Easy with ai)
15. After ChatGPT was launched, AI-based digital currencies like DeepBrain Chain and Numeraire saw a big jump in value. CoinGecko reports show that the prices of these AI coins went up by as much as 77%. (Coingecko)
16. It’s estimated that the new ChatGPT-4 will have 100 trillion parts that help it work, almost like how many parts are in a human brain. This is way bigger than the old ChatGPT-3, which had 175 billion parts. In fact, it’s about 571 times bigger. (Wired)
17. ChatGPT mostly speaks English but, it can also understand 95 other languages such as French and Spanish. (SEO.ai)
19. GPT-3.5 and GPT-4 are different in what they can do and how much data they can handle. GPT-4 has two types: one can deal with about 8,000 pieces of data, called the 8K version and the other can handle around 32,000 pieces, known as the 32K version. (Tooltester)
20. OpenAI built this model using a method that combines human feedback and reward-based learning. The dataset behind ChatGPT is gigantic. It consists of:
- 100 trillion settings that help it function
- 300 billion written words
- 570 GB of text data, which is like having over 164,000 copies of all the Lord of the Rings books, including The Hobbit. (Foster Grant)
21. ChatGPT can remember previous user instructions and use that history to answer future questions. (Demandsage)
22. In early 2021, OpenAI was worth $14 billion, but now it’s worth over $29 billion. This makes it one of the top companies in the U.S. Thanks to the success of Chat GPT and smart marketing, the company’s value has more than doubled in under two years. (Search Engine Journal)
23. Over the past seven years, various businesses have invested in OpenAI. However, Microsoft stands out as the major supporter. They first invested $1 billion in 2019, followed by $2 billion in 2021, and recently poured in another $10 billion in January 2023. (CNBC)
24. Khosla Ventures and other investors reportedly own a 49% share of OpenAI. OpenAI keeps the other 2% as its own equity. (CNBC)
25. Opinions are different about ChatGPT’s intelligence level. Some say it’s a bit below average with an IQ of 83, while others think it’s incredibly smart with an IQ of 147. (Fast Company)
26. You can get the ChatGPT app on both iPhones and Android phones. (Style Factory)
27. 780 individuals joined tests to see if people could tell if ChatGPT-3’s responses came from a human or a computer. (OpenAI)
Limitations Of ChatGPT
1. ChatGPT knows things only up to the year 2021. It doesn’t know about anything that happened after that. (Nerdy Nav)
2. ChatGPT may occasionally provide information that isn’t quite accurate. While it often sounds sure of itself, there might be instances where it’s incorrect. It’s always a good idea for readers to double-check the facts. (Poynter)
3. ChatGPT doesn’t have the ability to browse the Internet independently. But with the introduction of the new browsing plugin, ChatGPT now has the ability to scour the web for information. This exciting feature is currently only accessible to a select group of users. (PCguide)
4. A challenge with ChatGPT is that it often presents facts and explanations references or sources. (Nerdy Nav)
Updates Of August 2023 (OpenAI)
1. GPT-4 comes standard with ChatGPT Plus, allowing you to enjoy up to 50 conversations every 3 hours.
2. Now ChatGPT offers suggestions to spark your creativity and inspire your messaging.
3. Now, you can also upload up to 10 files with our code interpreter, making your experience even more versatile in ChatGPT
4. New keyboard shortcuts are now available in ChatGPT.
5. Just like with Bing, ChatGPT now offers suggestions for replies.
6. Bing AI also gets a GPT-4 toggle.
ChatGPT has some amazing facts that can help you do better. Incrementors can guide you through it all, making things easier.
Are you struggling with data or tech issues? We know how to fix them. Book a 30-minute talk with us today, and we’ll show you how. We have the solution you need, so let’s work together and make things right. Don’t miss out; we’re here to help you succeed