LET’S GET STARTED
- 1 Why Twitter Engagement Matters in Business
- 2 How To Increase Twitter Engagement – 25 Proven Ways
- 2.1 1. Tweet Like A Real Person
- 2.2 2. Keep Your Tweets Relevant
- 2.3 3. Use Images To Increase Retweets By 150%
- 2.4 4. Use Memes and GIFs To Show Personality
- 2.5 5. Create Twitter Polls To Engage With Followers
- 2.6 6. Host Twitter Chats To Reach A Larger Audience
- 2.7 7. Pin Your Best Tweets To Boost Engagement
- 2.8 8. Use Standalone Graphics To Share Information
- 2.9 9. Listen Your Followers To Build Loyalty
- 2.10 10. Curate Content To Increase Traffic
- 2.11 11. Use Hashtags To Double Engagement
- 2.12 12. Use Video in Tweets For A 28% Boost
- 2.13 13. Use Twitter Ads For Higher Click-Through Rates
- 2.14 14. Tweet At The Best Times
- 2.15 15. Use Twitter Cards To Drive Traffic To Your Website
- 2.16 16. Use Emoticons 👉 To Increase Favorites By 57% 🔥
- 2.17 17. Use Clean, Straight Forward Language
- 2.18 18. Ask Questions
- 2.19 19. Talk About Big Names
- 2.20 20. Share Industry News
- 2.21 21. Share Inspirational Quotes
- 2.22 22. Share Useful Tips
- 2.23 23. Let Your Followers Know About Your Events
- 2.24 24. Share Your Blog Content!
- 2.25 25. Engage With Your Customers’ Tweets
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Twitter is a place where people hang out to have real conversations, whether it’s about seasonal clothes, personal interest, or the stock market.
That’s why Twitter is one of the important social media platforms to promote your business.
However, it’s not easy to increase followers and boost and sustain engagement on the platform. It takes real effort, uniqueness, and a robust strategy to catch success on Twitter.
That’s what makes it more interesting.
However, I know you are here to find ways to increase your Twitter engagement.
By the end of this post, you will become a Twitter engagement expert.
Read this blog till the end.
Why Twitter Engagement Matters in Business
What I see is that everyone who jumps into social media marketing and Twitter marketing is focused on their follower count.
Every brand on social media wants to look popular, important, established, and respected. Many big brands achieve that successfully.
More followers mean more engagement, of course.
Remember that engagement on Twitter is highly valuable to build and maintain customer relationships. Retweets and replies on your offers mean you are increasing your prospects.
But the question is how a small business can have a mega-impressive Twitter follower count? How can startups have more engagement to boost their brand?
That’s the topic we are going to talk about next.
How To Increase Twitter Engagement – 25 Proven Ways
1. Tweet Like A Real Person
As per Twitter itself, one of the best exercises for a company or brand is to read your Tweets before posting and ask yourself:
- Do they read as if they come from your brand or a robot?
- Are they random and disjointed?
- Is there a central, human voice?
- Is it apparent what your brand is all about?
See this example:
This skincare brand, for example, Tweets its products as if it is talking to a friend.
That’s what you need to do. You need to speak your audience’s language or say, talk like a person and not a bot.
2. Keep Your Tweets Relevant
To grab the attention of people, you need to be a part of the conversation. You just can’t engage your audience without getting engaged with them.
Look around the world. Listen to what’s happening. See what your brand can contribute to and use that trend while talking about their brand.
Don’t use every trending topic just to promote your brand. That’s a bad thing to do. You just need to find topics that match your brand or products.
By this, you can also appear in a Twitter Moment.
For example, this Super Bowl is Lay’s grand sales period. The big game was trending on Twitter and Lay’s just played right and won the mind and hearts of their customers.
Anyone who heard about Lay’s Big Bowl ad thought it would be bizarre to not join the conversation.
3. Use Images To Increase Retweets By 150%
Multimedia content can beat written Twitter posts. Images are the best ones among them.
Sharing images on Twitter can boost retweets by 150%, says Buffer.
A short text with a large image is way more appealing than a text-only post.
Not only this, Tweets with images get 5x higher engagement than those without.
See an example:
What you need to remember is:
- Combine an image in every post for 35% more retweets.
- You can also post mini infographics and charts with images.
- Attach images only that directly relate to the text written.
4. Use Memes and GIFs To Show Personality
Not only images. There is something more to make your Tweets compelling.
How about Memes and GIFs?
Sounds ‘woohoo!’, right?
Adding GIFs and Memes to your Twitter makes people irresistible to scroll without sharing with their friends (retweeting).
How to include Memes on Twitter? Don’t worry. Twitter has made it easy to add GIFs by adding it in the tweet box.
All you need to do is find and choose an appropriate GIF from the drop-down menu you see below:
And then choose your GIF from the menu:
5. Create Twitter Polls To Engage With Followers
Because questions keep them engaged,
People simply love to answer questions. They are always willing to provide you with their opinions.
You can leverage this psychological trick to engage your audience through Twitter Polls.
By Twitter poll, you can ask your customers or prospects about how they feel about buying from you, what features of your service they like and dislike, and much more.
It also shows your followers that you care about their opinion which helps to build trust and loyalty. Plus, you will strengthen your brand and reputation on Twitter.
Here is how to create a Twitter poll:
1. Login to your Twitter profile and tap on the Tweet button.
2. Then, click the Add Poll icon you see in the bottom left corner.
3. Now type your poll question into the box.
4. And then click Tweet to post the poll.
6. Host Twitter Chats To Reach A Larger Audience
I think that a great way to build engagement for any brand out there is to chat with other people of your niche.
There is a way to engage your audience without frustrating them – don’t send direct messages to your audience, instead hang out with them via Twitter chats.
What is a Twitter chat?
Twitter chat is a kind of discussion or talk around one unique hashtag.
Let’s say you want to know people’s opinion on Content writing ideas, then you ask your question or post a story or poll using #contentwritingideas. And then, anyone within your circle can engage in the conversation using the hashtag in their replies.
See this #AskAOTA example:
The goal of Twitter chat is to spark interest and conversation among your audience so that you can always be on top of their mind. This is simply a great way to increase Twitter engagement.
Read More: Supercharge Your Sales Funnel With Chatbots
7. Pin Your Best Tweets To Boost Engagement
I know you have an awesome Tweet you want your followers to see again and again. Isn’t there? I knew.
You can pin that kind of Tweets to your profile. They will remain on top of the other content on your profile until you remove them.
So, every time someone visits your brand profile they will see it, which will make them like and retweet it!
That’s a great way to increase Twitter engagement on your profile.
You got to try this! Just remember to make the Tweet eye-catching by adding compelling images so they just can’t scroll down before retweeting it.
- Pin a Tweet with illuminating and boost retweets by 35%.
- A pinned tweet is similar to an ad, don’t forget to include a call-to-action here.
- A pinned tweet with a URL receives 86% more engagement.
By standalone graphics, I mean Tweets without any link. Just an image, let’s say.
CoSchedule experimented with this technique and found that it does increase Twitter engagement.
Here is a perfect example by CoSchedule:
A standalone graphic gives your users or customers a piece of useful information without any external link.
It provides the information right there, without redirecting them to anywhere else. And what a follower could want more than this. They just hate being redirected here and there, waiting for that link to load and read those long content.
That’s what made me suggest to you this brilliant idea invented by CoSchedule.
9. Listen Your Followers To Build Loyalty
Talk to them often, respond quickly when they mention your business name.
That’s what your followers want.
And you probably know this, already, but you fail to do it.
That’s why you fail to increase engagement on Twitter. Isn’t it?
When your followers mention you somewhere, and you don’t reply in the meantime, they will assume that you’re either not active on Twitter anymore or you’re ignoring them. Any of these is bad.
72% of people complained about this saying, they expect a response within an hour.
Ok, so how to stop ourselves from doing this?
Well, you can use the Mention app to respond to your followers quickly. This is one of the best helpful tools in your journey to increase Twitter engagement.
- The biggest benefit of responding in time is that more people will comment on your post after knowing you are actually listing them and responding. Not only this, but they are also likely to invite their friends to get into the conversation.
- Use their name when you are replying to your followers – this will make them feel appreciated. Small gestures like these literally help to build trust and loyalty with a business and its customers.
This trick will help you increase Twitter engagement smoothly, effortlessly.
10. Curate Content To Increase Traffic
The research found that 82% of marketers curate content to increase Twitter engagement.
Why? There must be something good behind this.
There is, of course.
When you share others’ content you’re showing your audience that you are not only about yourself. You value others’ quality work and want your users to read them.
Believe me, your customers will appreciate this effort.
So next time you post on your Twitter handle, mix a few curated contents with your content to increase engagement.
We also keep sharing some useful content we think would help our audience:
What you need to remember:
- Find the best content you enjoyed and think can help your audience.
- Connect with your industry influencers. Share their contents. By this, you will be opening the doors to communicating with them.
Hashtags are tools to double engagement. No doubt about that.
It helps people to search for a topic easily or trend on Twitter. Hashtags help followers to engage in a particular topic like a Twitter chat we recently talked about.
Hashtags make it easier for Twitter users to stumble across your page when searching for similar subjects. This makes them an extremely useful way to increase Twitter engagement.
Points to remember:
- Make sure you create a memorable, unique, and relevant hashtag for your content.
- Use only relevant hashtags. Don’t do the stuffing. 2-3 relevant hashtags are enough than 20 irrelevant ones.
- Remember to use a hashtag when hosting a Twitter chat.
12. Use Video in Tweets For A 28% Boost
Twitter users love video – especially on mobile
82% of users watch video content on Twitter – Whoa! That’s a big number!
According to Simon Rodgers, adding a video on your tweet boost 28% engagement.
See this infographic by Twitter:
I think this will help you:
- A Visible Measures research shows that 20% of viewers click away from a video if they find it boring or irrelevant. So, be creative, and make every second count.
- In your Twitter videos, you should promote your brand by educating them about your product or services. Keep adding useful tips weekly and you will increase your Twitter engagement.
- Make your videos around your office to keep the personal touch.
Read More: Video Marketing – Truth & Answers
13. Use Twitter Ads For Higher Click-Through Rates
If you are in the quest to find a fast and guaranteed way to boost Twitter engagement, Twitter ads are what you are looking for.
How to set up Twitter Ads?
- The first thing to remember is to choose between ‘promoting your tweets’ and ‘promoting your account’. What’s the difference? The first one will appear in your followers’ feed, where the second one will appear in the ‘who to follow section. The choice is up to you where you want to appear.
- Second, choose your target audience. On Twitter Ads, you will get your audience demographic and psychographic. Choose what suits your business best.
- Now the last thing – Create the Tweet. Now after choosing your Ad type and audience, you can begin creating your Tweet for your ad copy. Also, choose a daily budget for your campaign.
According to recent studies, Twitter ads consistently deliver higher click-through rates than Facebook ads.
14. Tweet At The Best Times
So what’s the time your audience is most active on Twitter?
This is the question many take for granted.
However, what’s your time?
Well, if you are thinking instead of answering at the first glance, you need to have a time frame to post on Twitter.
So, what’s the best time?
A set of 10 studies research shows what day and time is best to post on Twitter to create more engagement.
Copy, print, and pin this on your work desk:
- Wednesdays at 12 p.m. and 5-6 p.m.
- Mondays-Fridays at 12-3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
- Any day of the week from 2-3 a.m., 6-7 a.m., and 9-10 p.m.
Use these research data as your guideline. Test out different times to get the idea of when your audience is most active.
15. Use Twitter Cards To Drive Traffic To Your Website
With Twitter Cards, you can post beyond a 140-character limit and attach different types of media.
You can add visual interest through images, product info, videos, and other forms of content.
Here, see this example by Buffer:
Take a glance at these 7 exciting Twitter Cards and choose what suits your brand:
- Gallery cards featuring some images
- Single photo cards
- Summary cards. It will also post you links.
- Summary cards with images
- App cards
- Player cards that showcase videos
- Product cards
16. Use Emoticons 👉 To Increase Favorites By 57% 🔥
Emoticons add personality to your brand. 😎 It catches people’s eye.
So, instead of just plain lines of text 📄, split it up with an emoticon 💘. This will spark interest in your audience which will increase engagement.
Not only this, statistic shows that emoticon has potential to boost retweets and shares by as much as 57%.
- Pitch one or two emoticons per tweet. Emojis are simply the ultimate elevator pitch for your business.
- Don’t forget to use emoticons when responding to your followers. Emoticons are emotions in an icon. And people are bound by emotions.
- “Emphasize” specific text of your tweet with correlating emoticons. This will intensify engagement.
17. Use Clean, Straight Forward Language
Don’t just do that – writing like you’re doing your school homework!
Write concise and simple sentences. Write like you are talking to your audience. They would appreciate it.
Or simply remember – “If you wouldn’t say it like that, don’t write it like that.”
People simply hate sentences that are hard to grab and comprehend.
So, don’t try to be too creative while writing tweets, just say it in a simple and direct way.
Try this practice – Read it aloud twice before you post it. This will help you a lot.
Here is a good example:
Read More: Step-by-Step Content Creation Guide
18. Ask Questions
Asking questions is the classical trick mentioned in marketing books, and it’s still fresh because it still works.
Questions kindle curiosity, and it’s what drives the human mind.
People love to give their opinions, tell their stories, and share their experiences if they think a brand would listen to them.
So use this psychological trick to engage your customers to increase Twitter engagement.
You can ask simple questions like ‘What you guys doing on Christmas?’, ‘What do you love about our products?’, etc.
Plus, it’s not only about engagement, questions can also provide valuable insight for your products or services.
Don’t forget to use this buzzing Twitter engagement trick!
19. Talk About Big Names
Talking about your industry’s major players can increase your Twitter followers overnight along with engagement.
When you Tweet about your particular industry’s major players or tag them in your tweet, you get the eyes of their audience. This might boost your Twitter engagement in a jiffy!
Also, if you share their content and they retweet it, you’ll get tons of eyes on your profile. This is healthy for your brand. You want this.
Moreover, this can also connect you with the Big Names and help you build relationships with them. Again, they might share your content with their audience which will again, help you to increase your Twitter engagement.
Agree or not, news drives people’s minds like no other medium.
News ignites uncertainty, curiosity, excitement, fear, – which are human emotions. And we humans can’t resist our emotions. After all, that’s what sparks engagement – our emotions!
Also, the news will help your audience to stay updated with the latest trends.
If you are in the online marketing industry, you can share Google’s algorithm updates, and some small and useful social media regulations.
See the below example:
Because everyone loves quotes…
One thing I’ve noticed many times on social media is that people love posting and sharing quotes that touch their hearts or ignites inspiration.
Sharing an inspirational quote of the day is a great way to earn a good amount of retweets. Plus, people love to share their thoughts on quotes, which again, is a great way to increase Twitter engagement.
Your Twitter presence is all about informing and educating your audience, isn’t it?
Yeah, it’s important to teach customers about your products and services.
Sharing useful tips with your audience gives a sign that you care about them.
When you share useful tips, people might share them with their friends and relatives if they find them useful, which will increase likes, retweets, and overall Twitter engagement.
Sharing tips regularly also gives hints to your customers that you’re active on the platform and they can reach you anytime if you face any problem with your services.
See how we use this technique on our Twitter:
23. Let Your Followers Know About Your Events
If you are hosting or attending a conference or an event, let your Twitter followers know. This might spark conversation among your audience and attract more people to join, which will increase your Twitter engagement like a bull market!
Also, this might catch many industry leaders’ eyes and chances are they can share with their audience too!!
See, in this example, Sitecore shared their Virtual Developer Day event inviting their followers to sign up and attend.
Many will say that it’s not a good idea to share your long content on Twitter.
Well, I disagree.
From my personal experience, I can say that sharing your quality blog content might increase the chances of getting more engagement on Twitter.
Think about this –
You are active on the platform and hear your audience talking about a particular topic they are more interested in. You use this data to generate blog ideas and write on the topic your followers are specially talking about.
As soon as you post these blogs, your customers will get overwhelmed by this caring and comment lovely gesture. They will talk about you to their friends, tag them on your profile, share your website link, and even encourage others to buy from you.
So, you can see how sharing a blog might increase your Twitter engagement.
We do this regularly:
25. Engage With Your Customers’ Tweets
Until now, we talked about how to engage your followers and how to make them retweet you.
But what I think is – engaging with your customers will make them feel more inclined to engage with you.
Just feel – how would you feel if your favourite shoe brand comments on your tweet and interact with you? It just feels special, right?
That’s how you’re gonna make your customers feel when you engage with them on their tweets! And that’s a beautiful way to say to your audience – “Hey, you are special to us. A lot more special. Thanks for connecting with us.” And who doesn’t love to be appreciated?
They will be like:
So, don’t forget to engage with your customers next time. This will increase your Twitter engagement as well as strengthen your brand reputation.
Go And Rule The Twitter!
So, these are some of the creative ways to boost your Twitter engagement. I hope that after applying these strategies you will be able to get more likes, retweets, and comments on your brand’s Twitter profile.
However, what other strategies do you think can help in improving Twitter engagement? Are you using any tools to drive more people to follow you? Let me know in the comment section below.
Thanks for walking together!
See you later…
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Increase My Twitter Engagement 2022?
You can simply increase your Twitter engagement by following some strategies like sharing content with catchy images, engaging with your followers, sharing tips, and in many more ways. Here are the 25 best Twitter engagement techniques you are looking for.
How Do You Beat The Twitter Algorithm?
Well, for that you do not need to be an Einstein. All you need to do is follow some rules that Twitter has crafted for you to get better engagement. Read this blog to know more about the subject.
How Do You Get A Lot Of Likes And Retweets On Twitter?
That takes a lot of consistent hard work and creative techniques. However, if you are new on Twitter and want to increase engagement, this guide is specially written for you. Readout now!
How Do I Make My Twitter Timeline Better?
- Maintain an active presence
- Be consistent with posting
- Use hashtags
- Add images
- Hang out with industry leaders
- and share others’ Tweets.
What Is The Best Time To Post On Twitter?
The best time to post on Twitter is when your audience is highly active. You can research and peek into data to extract the time frame for your business tweets. Or, you can simply read more here.